The Eskimo Bulletin (AK, 1893-1902?)

Leave a comment

Eskimo Bulletin (AK, 1893, 1902)

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Cape Prince of Wales, A.M.A. Mission School, Alaska (1893, 1902)

Frequency:  Annual? “Only Yearly in the World”

Volume and Issue Data:  March 24, 1893-Vol. 5, May, 1902?

Size and Format:  7 1/4 x 10 3/4 inches; some handwritten and mimeographed, some printed

Editor/Publisher:  W.T. Lopp (1894-1902); Oo-ten-na, Eskimo engraver; Kiok, I-ya-tunk-uk and Ad-loo-at, compositors; American Missionary Association Mission School

Title Changes and Continuation:  None

General Description & Notes:

See image

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  James Wickersham, A Bibliography of Alaska Literature, 1724-1924 (Cordova, Ak.:  Cordova Daily Times Print, 1927), 258

Links: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn96060045/

Locations:  AkAU, AkU, CaACUAI, IdU, UkCU-Pa

Advertisements

The Enjoyer (MA, 1925-1926)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Massachusetts

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  1925-26

Size and Format:  Approx. 150 pp.

Editor/Publisher: Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation: Unknown

General Description and Notes:

Children’s papers.  George Wesley Bellows Papers, Box IV, folder 17.

Information Sources:

Bibliography: None

Locations:  George Wesley Bellows Papers, Box IV, folder 17.  College Archives and Special Collections, Amherst College, Amherst, MA

English Chips (RI, 1858)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Providence High School, Rhode Island

Frequency:  Annually?

Volume and Issue Data:  1858, three issues, about 12 pages total.

Size and Format: Unknown

Editor/Publisher:  Gardner and Stone

Title Changes and Continuation: Unknown

General Description and Notes:

Providence High School literary newspaper

Information Sources:

Bibliography: None

Locations:  Manuscripts, The Rhode Island Historical Society, Library, Providence, RI

Emigrant Soldiers Gazette and Cape Horn Chronicle (ENG-BC, 1858-1859)

Leave a comment

Emigrant Soldiers Gazette & Cape Horn Chronicle (Eng-BC, 1858-1859)

Place of Publication:  “Editor’s office, Starboard Front Cabin, ‘Thames City,'” en route from Gravesend, England to Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Frequency:  Weekly (“read aloud each Saturday night, the day of publication, by the commanding officer, Capt. H.R. Luard, R.E.”)

Volume and Issue Data:  17 numbers issued:  No. 1, Nov. 6, 1858 to No. 17, April 2, 1859; not published during three week layover at Falkland Islands

Size and Format:  10.75 x 18 inches; pre-printed title/masthead; pen and ink

Editor/Publisher:  Second Corporal Charles Sinnett, R.E., assisted by Lt. H.S. Palmer, R.E.

Title Changes and Continuation:  None

General Description & Notes:

Contains a news section, natural history of the voyage, correspondence, conundrums, naval and military intelligence, songs, poetry, jokes, advertisements, foreign intelligence and market intelligence.

The Emigrant Soldiers Gazette and Cape Horn Chronicle was published originally in manuscript form on board the ship “Thames City,” which sailed from Gravesend, England, on October 10, 1858 and reached Esquimalt, Vancouver Island, British Columbia on April 12, 1859.  Aboard the ship was a detachment of Royal Engineers selected for service in B.C.

The paper was edited by Second Corporal Charles Sinnett, R.E., and assisted by Lt. H.S. Palmer, R.E.  Each Saturday night, the day of publication, the paper was read aloud by the ship’s commanding officer, Captain H.R. Luard, R.E.

The first issue explained that as one of the ways to avoid monotony and “keep a merry heart,”

[A] thoughtful friend on shore, whose name should be held in honour among us, has provided us with the means of establishing a small Newspaper, to be kept up by our own contributions.  Let us set about it with good will and heartiness.  Some little amusement and instruction will be sure to follow.  Any trifling matter recorded now will be a pleasure to refer to hereafter as a memorial of the peaceful and happy days of our voyage.

The first issue also published a notice “To Correspondents,” as a guide to contributors:

1.  In future, contributions of Leading Articles on any subject are requested to send them in to the Editor by noon every Thursday, and all other contributions should be sent in by 8 o’clock the same evening, to give ample time for publishing the paper.

2.  Any person willing to answer letter addressed “To the Editor,” are invited to do so, addressing their answers in the same manner.

3.  The answers to Charades and Conundrums will be published the Saturday after they appear, and any person guessing an answer, may learn on application to the Editor or Sub-Editor if he is right or wrong.  But is hoped correct guessers will keep their secret.

The paper maintained a regular front page news section and other regular sections, such as “Natural History of the Voyage,” “Correspondence,” “Conundrums,” “Naval and Military Intelligence,” “Songs and Poetry,” “Jokes,” “Foreign Intelligence,” “Market Intelligence,” and “Advertisements.”

The printed edition of the paper included a map detailing the ship’s route and marking its locations on the dates of publication.

After the arrival of the Thames City at New Westminster, B.C., the men aboard the ship paid to have the paper printed as a souvenir of their voyage.  The “British Columbian” newspaper in New Westminster printed the paper from the manuscript originals.

In Volume One–”To the correspondents  1. In the future, contributors of Lending Articles on any subject are requested to send them in to the editor by noon every Thursday, and al other contributions should be sent in by eight o’clock the same evening, to give ample time for publishing the paper.  2. Any person willing to answer letters addressed “To the Editor,” are invited to do so, addressing their answers in the same manner.  3. The answers to the Charades and Conundrums will be published the Saturday after they appear, and any person guessing an answer may learn on application to the Editor or Sub-Editor if he is right or wrong.  But it is hoped correct guessers will keep their secret.”

Preface to the published collection:  [Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1907]

“The ESGCHC was published originally in manuscript form, on board the ship “Thomas City,” which was sailed from Gravesend on the 10th of October, 1858, and reached Esquimalt, V. I. on the 12th April, 1859, having on board a Detachment of Royal Engineers selected for service in B.C.  The paper was edited by Second-Corporal, Charles Sinnett, R.G., assisted by Lt. H. S. Palmer, R.G.  and was read aloud each Saturday night, the day of publication, by the commanding officer, Captain H.R. Luard, R.G.  After the arrival of the Detachment of the camp, New Westminster, it was thought advisable to have this most interesting journal printed for distribution amongst the members of the Detachment.  This was done, at the men’s expense, at the office of the “British Columbia,” New Westminster, by the late John Robson.

From No. 1 [11/6/58]–p.1  “As one means towards this desired end [to avoid monotony and keep a merry heart], a thoughtful friend on shore, whose name should be held in honour among us, has provided us with a means of establishing a small Newspaper, to be kept up by our own contributors Let us set about it with good will and heartiness.  Some little amusement and instruction will be sure to follow. Any trifling matter recorded now will be a pleasure to refer to hereafter as a memorial of the peaceful and happy days of our voyage.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  Emigrant Soldiers Gazette and Cape Horn Chronicle (Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1907); Roy Atwood, “Shipboard News: Nineteenth Century Handwritten Periodicals at Sea,” Paper Presentation to the History Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Annual Convention, Chicago, IL, 1997; Reprint, New York Public Library.

Locations:  British Columbia Archives and Records Services, Victoria, British Columbia; (printed edition) The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, California; New York Public Library, New York.

The Emigrant (LA-CA, 1849)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Shipboard Alhambra en route to California gold fields (1849)

Frequency:  Weekly; irregular

Volume and Issue Data:  The Alhambra departed New Orleans in the fall, 1849; only four numbers issued; known dates:  No. 3, Sept. 5; No. 4, Sept. 20, 1849

Size and Format:  “Two sheets of foolscap, closely written out in full”

Editor/Publisher:  “Mr. Moss”

Title Changes and Continuation:  None

General Description & Notes:

The Emigrant was published aboard the Alhambra, a ship which embarked for California from New Orleans in the fall of 1849.  The ship’s paper was supposed to be published weekly during the voyage, but lasted only four numbers.

The Ship Alhambra

The Alhambra’s master, Captain George Coffin, filled more than half of each issue with his own compositions of rhyme and verse.  In his privately printed memoirs, Captain Coffin noted, “On Saturday, August 23rd, appeared the first number of ‘The Emigrant.’  It consisted of two sheets of foolscap closely written out in full by Mr. Moss.”

Coffin claimed the paper “was well received, the reading matter was various, to please all tastes, and the croakers were silenced.”  He also claims audience response was so enthusiastic that when the second installment was ready on August 30, measures had to be taken to preserve order among the passengers.  “So great was the desire to get hold of it that it was voted that one of the passengers should read it aloud to the rest.”  A freshly minted medical school graduate, Dr. Clark, was selected to read the poem.  Captain Coffin noted the doctor “placed himself on the capstan, and the rest of the company gathered round, some standing, others seated about on spare spars, water casks, or whatever else they could find.”  The Captain-author, however, found that his work was not read with proper fire and feeling.  This lack of force and ability, according to Coffin, explained why the young doctor had no doubt failed in his chosen profession.

The Emigrant’s third issue, published Sept. 5, 1849, featured another of Captain Coffin’s poems, “Simon Spriggin’s Soliloquy.”  The issue also contained an advertisement:

WANTED:  A few degrees of south latitude.  Any person being able to furnish them shall be installed an honorary member of the Committee on Navigation.  Apply at the Surgeon’s office.

The Committee on Navigation was the title ironically given a group of the Alhambra’s passengers who were in the habit of offering the ship’s officers unsolicited advice on how to improve the operation of the vessel.

The Alhambra’s newspaper struggled through one more issue, then died.  Captain Coffin noted its passing:  “From this time ‘The Emigrant’ languished for want of sustenance; it did not appear the next Saturday.  It made one more effort on Saturday, September 20th, and then gave up the ghost.  The editorial valedictory had some reference to ‘casting pearls before swine . . .'” (p. 50).  Simon Spriggins bowed himself out with a final poem, the inspirational character of which may be gathered from this stanza:

“Your saddle bags shall yet be filled

With Sacramento’s glittering ore.

Your doubts and fears shall all be still’d

And troubles come not near you more.” (p. 51)

Lewis notes that The Emigrant and other shipboard newspapers (see, e.g., BAROMETER, THE PETREL, and SHARK) “lacked the formality of print but more nearly approached conventional journalism” than the various travel journals and diaries kept during the voyages.

According to Captain Coffin’s accounts published after the voyage, (41) On Saturday, August 23, appeared the first number of “The Emigrant.”  It consisted of two sheets of foolscap closely written out in fully by Mister Moss (Mr. Sam Moss, Jr.  “ super Cargo) [p.12].

(43) The first number of “The Emigrant” was well received, the reading matter was various, and the croakers were silenced.

(45) Saturday, August 30–The second number of “The Emigrant” appeared promptly by this morning.  So great was the desire to get hold of it, that it was voted that one of the passengers should read it aloud to the rest.  The selected Doctor Clark as the reader. . . .  He placed himself on the capstan, and the rest of the company gathered round, some standing, others seated about on spare spars, water casks, or whatever else they could find.

(49) September 6–The third number of “the Emigrant” appeared this day

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  George Coffin, A Pioneer Voyage to California and Round the World, 1849-1852, Ship Alhambra (Chicago:  privately printed, 1908); Oscar Lewis, Sea Routes to the Gold Fields:  The Migration by Water to California in 1849-1852 (New York:  A.A. Knopf, 1949), pp. 89-92; Roy Atwood, “Shipboard News: Nineteenth Century Handwritten Periodicals at Sea,” Paper Presentation to the History Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Annual Convention, Chicago, IL, 1997.

Locations:  None located

Elkhorn Breeze (NWT, 1887)

Leave a comment

According to Wikipedia , “the first publication in Elkhorn was a handwritten news bulletin reproduced on cyclostyle. Founded by F. Greenstreet in 1886, the Elkhorn Breeze was applauded by the Manitoba Free Press as ‘a credit to that prosperous young city.’  In spite of such praise The Breeze had ceased publication by the end of 1887.”

The Electric Pen (MA, 1878)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Massachusetts?

Frequency: Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  1878, Vol. l, Nos. 4-12 (28 pp.)

Size and Format: Unknown

Editor/Publisher: Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation: Unknown

General Description and Notes:

None

Information Sources:

Bibliography: None

Locations:  College Archives and Special Collections, Amherst College, Amherst, MA

Older Entries Newer Entries

%d bloggers like this: