Noilpum (CA, 1857-1858)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Hay Fork, Trinity County, California (ca. 1857-1858)

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  Unknown

Size and Format:  Unknown

Editor/Publisher:  Unknown (Isaac Cox?)

Title Changes and Continuation:  Unknown

General Description and Notes:

Kennedy notes that “except for a manuscript paper called the Noilpum, published at Hay Fork, all of Trinity County’s early newspapers were printed at Weaverville.  At most, only a very few copies may have been produced, and none are extant.

Isaac Cox reported in his history of Trinity County published in 1858,

We have named the “Noilpum” without spreading ourselves into explanatory easings, but now it comes.  It is the Hay Fork newspaper, an institution to absorb and assimilitate the literary exudations not otherwise provided for; a newspaper which, if presented to a Faust or Guttenberg of our day, would soon learn to know the “devil,” which again in all probability would cause relief in the tar and pitch market, the only operators in that commodity at present being the brokers of the squaw boudoirs.  The Noilpum is a goodly paper, and though it advocates the Administration in order not to hurt its books, would go dead downright for Jackson and Douglas in the question of “honest opinion.”   A paper is “ably” conducted, knowing nothing of Hoe and Co.’s Mammoth Cylinder, Anti-Friction, anti, etc. presses, or any other sleight-of-hand exponent of public greasing, being thus thrown back on pen and ink, will naturally get muddy and greasy enough to answer to the “mudsill” call and the pet name of printers’ cordiality, “dirty sheet.”  We may guess now you know what the “Noilpum” is.

Kennedy speculates that the Noilpum may have been a humorous paper (despite the lame attempt at humor above).

Information Sources:                        

Bibliography:  Isaac Cox, The Annals of Trinity County (San Francisco:  Commercial Book and Job Steam Printing, 1858), 125;  Chester P. Kennedy, “Newspapers of the California Northern Mines, 1850-1860–A Record of Life, Letters and Culture,” unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Stanford, 1949, pp. 30-31, 39, 289, 574-75, and 603)

Locations:  None located

Advertisements

Mountain Echoes (CA, 1881-1882)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Santa Cruz, California

Volume and Issue Data:  No. 1, Dec.1881-No. 10, Nov. 1882

Size and Format:  28 cm.?

Editor/Publisher:  M.B. Smith, Summit Literary Society

Title Changes and Continuations:  None

General Description and Notes:

None

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  None

Locations:  CU-SC, CUZNdc: University of California, Santa Cruz, University Library, Special Collections (photocopy only)

Miner’s News (CA, 1859)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: North Bloomfield, California

Frequency:  Monthly (Only two issues known)

Volume and Issue Data:  ca. February and March, 1859

Size and Format:  Unknown

Editor/Publisher:  James Marriot (1859)

Title Changes and Continuation:  None (see the OWL)

General Description and Notes:

According to Kennedy, North Bloomfield, California, had no printed newspapers, but it did have two manuscript publications:  the Owl and the Miner’s News.  The appearance of the Miner’s News was announced in the Hydraulic Press:

THE MINER’S NEWS–This is the title of a new manuscript newspaper published at North Bloomfield by Jas. Marriot, and of which we have received the first number.  It presents quite a neat appearance, the head being ornamented by a drawing of an honest miner with this pick and shovel on his way to work.

The editor of the Hydraulic Press, B.P. Avery, then quoted a discussion of chronic grumblers from the Miner’s News, and said, “As our cotem. [sic] intends to devote his paper to the mining interest, we wish him success, and will gladly exchange.”

On March 12, 1859, the Hydraulic Press editor noted another issued of the Miner’s News, but the North Bloomfield paper did not appear in the columns of the press again.  Kennedy observes, “Whether both the Owl and the Miner’s News suspended publication shortly after they started, or Avery was tired of mentioning them cannot be determined” (p. 512).

Information Sources:

Bibliography: ChesterP. Kennedy, “Newspapers of the California Northern Mines, 1850-1860–A Record of Life, Letters and Culture,” unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Stanford University, 1949, pp. 25, 37, 512, 608)

Locations:  None located, but cited in Hydraulic Press,Feb. 19, 1859andMarch 12, 1859

The Miner’s Expose (CA, 1856)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Granite Hill, El Dorado County, California

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  1856

Size and Format:  Unknown

Editor/Publisher:  “Mr. Baker”

Title Changes and Continuation:  None

General Description and Notes:

The newspaper Alta California printed the following item in its Feb. 14, 1856 edition:

NEW PAPER–We learn that a paper entitled The Miner’s Expose, and edited by Mr. Baker, has lately been started at Granite Hill, El Dorado County.  We have not yet seen a copy.

This was the only reference to the Miner’s Expose Kennedy located in his research on northern California mining camp newspapers.  According to Kennedy, “one might guess, from the title, that it was a protest paper of some sort, but at best that is only a guess.  It probably was a manuscript paper and there is a possibility it was never published at all.”

Information Sources:

Bibliography: ChesterP. Kennedy, “Newspapers of the California Northern Mines, 1850-1860–A Record of Life, Letters and Culture,” unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Stanford University, 1949, pp. 26, 37, 532-33, 601

Locations:  None located, but cited in Alta California, Feb. 14, 1856

The Mill Valley News (CA, 1893)

Leave a comment

Mill Valley News (CA, 1893)

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Mill Valley, California

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  Vol. 1, No. 1, April 6, 1893

Size and Format:  Four pages; 6 1/2 x 8 1/4; three columns

Editor/Publisher: Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation: None

General Description and Notes:

Front page contents include a “Poet’s Corner” (with poems by Kezia B. Simmes, and Elizabeth Stone), a short story on “True Love” by Madge Wilson; page two has news “Notes” which mention a new hotel being “nearly finished” and the Catholic Church, “it is hoped be dedicated on the first of May” and will “accommodate about 200 people,” an essay on “Rob White” by Chas. Fromley; page three is mostly “The Little Ones, A Fairy Tale” by Jessy Greot and short joke about Jonah and the Whale; and page four contains jokes, births, lists marriages and deaths, but leaves those blank, puzzles, and a “Letter Box” with two short letters and mention of thanks yous to seven individuals.

Information Sources:

Bibliography: None

Locations:  Anne Kent California History Room, Marin County Free Library, CA (photocopy)

Le Californien (CA, 1850)

Leave a comment

Le Californien (CA, 1850)

Publication History:

Place of Publication: San Francisco, California

Frequency:  Weekly, began January 17,1850, ceased in Feb? 1850.

Volume and Issue Data: January 31, 1850, No. 3.

Size and Format: Unknown

Editor/Publisher:  Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation: None

General Description and Notes:

In French.  Lithographed due to lack of proper type for French language.  The librarian could not locate the original, but they are supposed to have it.

Information Sources:                

Bibliography:  Wall, Alexander J. “Early Newspapers,” New-York Historical Society Quarterly, V. 15, N. 2 (July 1931).

Locations: Newspaper Collection, New York Historical Society, New York, NY

Flying Fish (Aus-CA, 1851)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Shipboard Mary Catherine, out of Sydney en route to California (1851)

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  No. 1, May 31, 1851

Size and Format:  Unknown

Editor/Publisher:  “Some of the women passengers aboard”

Title Changes and Continuation:  None

General Description and Notes:

The Flying Fish was published by women passengers aboard the ship Mary Catherine out of Sydney, Australia, en route to the gold fields of California. The only known issue was dated May 31, 1851. The captain of the ship recorded in his log that to pass the time, some of the women passengers began writing a shipboard newspaper and published it on the day of the captain’s 32nd birdthday. He described it as “a little journal of fun and merriment.”

Two things are noteworthy about the Flying Fish. First, it is the only known shipboard paper produced exclusively by women. No doubt other shipboard papers had women contributors and scribes, but this is the only one, according to the sole remain independent documentary evidence from the voyage, founded, edited, and produced exclusively by women at sea.

Second, the fact that the captain consider the publication of the Flying Fish nothing more than something “to pass the time,” suggests that it was primarily a literary and humorous publication. The fact that Australia had been a British penal colony since its first settlements in 1788 may also indicate that the women were less than well educated or well read.  The passengers on board the ship who were  seeking their fortunes in California gold likely included former convicts, men and women. In such a context, the women’s journalistic and literary skills were probably not of a high caliber.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  Captain Henry Thomas Fox, Log of Mary Catherine, in possession of Mrs. F.G. Marginson, Hamilton, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, cited in Charles Bateson, Gold Fleet for California:  Forty Niners from Australia and New Zealand (Auckland:  Minerva Ltd., 1963), pp. 47, 136, 138; Roy Atwood, “Shipboard News: Nineteenth Century Handwritten Periodicals at Sea,” Paper Presentation to the History Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Annual Convention, Chicago, IL, 1997.

Locations:  None located

Older Entries Newer Entries

%d bloggers like this: