The Vepricula (UT, 1864-1865)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: St. George, Utah

Frequency:  Semi-monthly; twice a month over a period of 13 months

Volume and Issue Data: May 1864-June 1865

Size and Format:  3 columns, foolscap pages, four pages

Editor/Publisher:  Orson Pratt, Jr., George A. Bergen, Charles Lowell (C.L.) Walker, and Joseph Orton: all wrote under pen names (from Carter, p. 144)

Title Changes and Continuation:  Unknown

General Description and Notes:

According to Carter, The Vepricula or Little Bramble was issued twice a month over 13 months from May 1864 to June 1865. The four editors wrote under pen-names and each followed their own line of thought.  Pratt was Veritas, Bergen was Signor, Orton was Cerus, and Walker was Mark Whiz.  While these men planned the paper and developed their stories, they “hired some young women who were good  penmen, to write the paper, the script was so fine and yet so perfect that it is still very readable, except where time has dimmed the ink” (Carter, p. 144).

Content was organized under sections with heads such as “Readings,” “Hopes,” “Reflections,” “Reason and Faith,” “The Will,” etc.c

According to the Huntington Library, The Vepricula was the first manuscript newspaper published in St. George, Utah.

Facsimile copy at the Huntington, FAC 526.

According to Chad Flake (p.21) “Guglielma Gustaro Rossetti Sangioranni was an L.D.S. convert from . . .  He was also associated with Joseph Orton, George A. Bergen, and Orson Pratt in the publishing of the manuscript newspaper, the Veprecula, [sic] where he wrote under the pseudonym, “Ego.”  (cited in Andrew K. Larsen I Was Called to Dixie (SLC: Deseret New Press, 1961, p.422)

Cited in Checklist of Utah Newspapers in Holley, p.163, as Little Bramble, St. George, Washington County, 5/1864-6/15/1865; Editors: J. Orton, O. Pratt, Jr., G.A. Bergen, and C.L. Walker.

Related titles: Veprecula [sic], frequency: bi-weekly

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  Kate B. Carter, ed.,  Journalism in Pioneer Days ( Salt Lake City:  Daughters of Utah Pioneers Historical Society, April 1943), pp. 139-168 (esp. 144-46); Andrew K. Larsen I Was Called to Dixie (Salt Lake City: Deseret New Press, 1961), p.422

Chad Flake, “Early Utah Journalism:  A Brief Summary,” in Utah’s Newspapers–Traces of Her Past, ed. by Robert P. Holley, Utah Newspaper Project, SLC–Marriott Library, 1984. p.21

Locations:  Facsimile, Manuscripts Division, Huntington Library, San Marino, CA

The Union Times (UT,1886-1887)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Union, Utah

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  Vol. 5, No. 5 is dated Dec. 12, 1886 (p. 2); other dates include Feb. 20, 1887, Feb. 15, 1887, and Feb. 9, 1887.

Size and Format: 6.5 x 10.5 inches; single column

Editor/Publisher:  Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation:  Unknown

General Description and Notes:

The paper is a Mormon publication. The lead story-editorial of Vol. 5, No. 5 begins with the question, “What are We Mormons a doing at the Present?” The answer:

“We are endeavoring to Keep the commandments of God as written in his holy word. To preach the Gospel to all the world, to inspire the hearts of Men with faith in nGod our Father, And in the atonement of Jesus and that wickedness may comme to an end . . . .”

Seems to be continuous entries with different dates, contributors names/letter signed (F.S., D.D.E. Jones, Orson Berrett, Fred Buxton, Henry C. Monteer). May have been a Young Men’s Improvement Society publication, but found no indication of that in the extant copies.

Information Sources:

Bibliography: None

Locations:  Manuscripts, MS 605, University Libraries, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT

Union Spy (VA, 1851)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Washington College, Lexington, Virginia

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  Vol. 1, No. 3, Friday, June 27, 1851

Size and Format:  7.75 x 12.5 inches; 4 pages, two columns per page

Editor/Publisher:  L. Neal and R. Houston

Title Changes and Continuation:  Unknown

General Description and Notes:

The paper was created and held at Washington & Lee University is misdated in their catalog. The “1857” looks reasonable on the masthead, but the editorial on page two, “The Next Presidency,” says that the presidential campaign “of 1852 is about to commence.” Thus it appears the correct date is 1851, not 1857.

The paper contains story stories, news briefs, editorials, “city and county news,” “foreign,” poetry, “scraps,” and an ad for “job writing.”

Extant copy is very clear and legible–except for the date!

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  Rockbridge Historical Society. Guide to the Manuscripts Collection of the Rockbridge Historical Society on Permanent Deposit at the Washington and Lee University Library, Lexington, Virginia. Lexington, Va: The Society, 1989.

Locations:  Rockbridge Historical Society Collection, Special Collections, Leyburn Library, Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA

Tuli Times (ZIM, 1891)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Fort Tuli, Zimbabwe (Rhodesia); “established on July 1st, 1890, by the Pioneer Column itself and by ‘A’ Troop of the British South Africa Company’s Police. This fort was first named Fort Selous, after the hunter, explorer and then guide to the Column. The hill on which the fort was built stands less than a mile south of the Shashi River in a hollow basin surrounded by higher hills—its siting was therefore frequently criticised for it was vulnerable to long-range guns and even rifles, a necessary consideration with regard to any threat from the Transvaal Republic”  (from Our Rhodesian Heritage).

Frequency: Unknown

Volume and Issue Data: Circa July, 1891

Size and Format: Unknown

Editor/Publisher: Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation: Unknown

General Description and Notes:

According to Rhodesiana (Vol. 12, September 1965 and republished on the Our Rhodesian Heritage website), from 1890 to 1893 the fort at Tuli was the main entry to Rhodesia and a small town rapidly grew up at the foot of the fort. It was the head of the telegraph, and here the first hospital in Rhodesia was started by Mother Patrick and her Dominican Sisters on April 1st, 1891. By July, 1891, Tuli even boasted its own newspaper, the Tuli Times. Rhodes reached Tuli in October, 1890, on his way to Mashonaland but the rains ended his journey there. Lord Randolph Churchill, Sir Frederick Carrington, Jameson and Beit were all entertained in the fort in July, 1891, while the large numbers of wagons and new immigrants, streaming north, had to replenish their supplies at Tuli and provided the few stores and the British South Africa Company’s Commissariat Officer with exorbitant profits. In 1893 Tuli was the base from which the Southern Column marched on Bulawayo but thereafter it declined for the Tati-Mangwe road now provided a more direct route to Bulawayo and then on to Salisbury.

Vann and VanArsdel cite the Tuli Times as handwritten and cyclostyled.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  Jerry Don Vann, Rosemary T. VanArsdel, Periodicals of Queen Victoria’s Empire: An Exploration (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1996), p. 291; Press Reference-Zimbabwe; Louis W. Bolze, “The Book Publishing Scene in Zimbabwe,” The African Book Publishing Record, 6:3-4 (1980), 229–236

Link:  Our Rhodesian Heritage

Locations:  None

The True Templar (NS, 1866)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  East Branch (?) and/or later Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Frequency: “Published Semi-Monthly” (Vol. 1, No. 2)

Volume and Issue Data:  Vol. 1, No. 2, Wednesday, March 14, 1866

Size and Format:  11.5 x 17 (?)

Editor/Publisher: John James Stewart

Title Changes and Continuation:  Editor went on to become the founding editor of the province’s major paper, The Chronicle-Herald

General Description and Notes:

According to Dalhousie University’s Archives and Special Collections J.J. Stewart Maritime Collection website’s introduction of the collection,

“When he was 35, John James Stewart (1844-1907) decided to leave his Halifax law firm and become the editor of a fledgling provincial daily newspaper. His family greeted the news with skepticism and concern. J.J. Stewart had already left a good teaching position and the principalship of the Amherst Academy in order to become a lawyer. To give up law after only four years seemed such a waste. J.J. Stewart quickly proved that his decision was a good one. Within five years he had shrewdly developed his Morning Herald into the province’s most successful newspaper.

“In retrospect, J.J. Stewart’s decision to become a newspaper editor should not have been a total surprise. When he was 22, J.J. Stewart had edited and put out his own handwritten temperance newspaper, The True Templar [emphasis added]. He also had a deep respect for the power of the printed word; indeed, he viewed it “as the most powerful of all human forces …” A man of strong political, social, and religious convictions, Stewart held definite opinions and possessed the writing skills required to present them effectively. The editorial page of a newspaper would and did provide J.J. Stewart with an ideal outlet.

“When it was clear that his newspaper was on a solid footing, Stewart branched out into the banking business. He rose to the presidency of both the Acadia Loan Corporation and the People’s Bank of Halifax. A strong Conservative, Stewart also devoted many hours to party affairs and made two unsuccessful bids for election to the provincial assembly.

“In addition to his newspaper and banking work, J.J. Stewart took an active part in the social, religious, and intellectual life of Halifax. Although a member of the Masons, the Navy League, the Good Templars, and the YMCA, Stewart’s primary commitments were to the North British Society and the Nova Scotia Historical Society. It was to the latter organization that he presented his landmark paper on early journalism in Nova Scotia. His carefully researched and well-written paper is still the authoritative source for information about the beginnings of the newspaper industry in Nova Scotia and Canada. J.J. Stewart clearly had a talent for historical writing.

“Away from the public eye, Stewart conducted a lifelong study of the history of Nova Scotia. No aspect of Nova Scotia’s past was neglected. Even material about major events which had impacted on Nova Scotia was carefully acquired and studied. The American revolution, the roots of Canadian federalism, works of major British authors, agricultural chemistry, and the depression in the West Indies were just a few of the related topics investigated by J.J. Stewart.

“Unlike the other major Nova Scotia bibliophile of the period, T.B. Akins, J.J. Stewart did not concentrate on book-length works. Half of his collection of over 3,000 works is in pamphlet form and many are what would have been considered ephemeral even in his era. Due to his interest in Nova Scotia’s printing history and in all aspects of Nova Scotia life, he collected everything from church bulletins of special services to the annual reports of the Micmac Missionary Society. He was especially diligent in collecting early newspapers, magazines, and almanacs, materials which provide valuable insight into all aspects of nineteenth century provincial life.

“In mid-February of 1907, J.J. Stewart was badly burned by flames from an overturned oil stove in his home. Two weeks later, Nova Scotia lost one of its most capable newspapermen and devoted boosters. Following the settlement of his estate, his widow presented his impressive historical library to Dalhousie University. Although his untimely death silenced his pen, J.J. Stewart has provided the resources for future researchers to study and write about the history of Nova Scotia.”

According to Karen Smith of the Dalhousie University Libraries (in correspondence with the HN editor), “It obviously existed in at least two issues since we have a Vol. 1, no. [sic] 2 issue.  It is in very fragile condition so I could not copy the whole issue for you.” She goes on to note that

“John James Stewart was just 21 years old in March 1866. He grew up in a very small rural Nova Scotia community, but quickly demonstrated a scholarly aptitude and went on to become a lawyer, businessman, and the founding editor of what is still our major provincial paper, The Chronicle-Herald. He also was a very knowledgeable book collector and his excellent collection was donated to Dalhousie University upon his untimely death in 1907. In early life, J.J. Stewart was obviously a temperance man.”

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  Stewart, J. J. “Early journalism in Nova Scotia,” in Collections of the Nova Scotia Historical Society, 1888, Vol. 6, pp. 91 – 122

Link: Dalhousie University’s Archives and Special Collections J.J. Stewart Maritime Collection website

Locations:  Special Collections, Killam Memorial Library, Dalhousie University Libraries, Halifax, Nova Scotia

The True Blue (MX, 1842)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Mexico City, Mexico; Castle Perote Prison, Santiago, Mexico

Frequency:  Weekly (for six weeks)

Volume and Issue Data:  Vol. 1, No. 4, April 21, 1842

Size and Format:  Variable; 9 x 13 inches; two columns; written in cursive

Editor/Publisher:  “Simon Pure”

Title Changes and Continuation:  None

General Description and Notes:         

The True Blue was handwritten by Texan soldiers imprisoned in Mexico City.  According to a Texas State archivist, the newspaper was published as a “literary journal” by the 1842 Texan Santa Fe Expedition prisoners while in the Castle Santiago in Mexico City.  The prisoners were later moved to the Castle Perote near the coast.  At least six issues appeared.  The fourth issue, April 21, 1842, announced a “Ball” to be held in celebration of the Battle of San Jacinto, “a day ever to be remembered by Texans.”

The paper’s name appears in large, bold capital letters.

Information Sources:                               

Bibliography:  Bob Karolevitz, “Pen and Ink Newspapers of the Old West,” Frontier Times, 44:2 (Feb.-Mar., 1970), 31, 62; Robert F. Karolevitz, Newspapering in the Old West:  A Pictorial History of Journalism and Printing on the Frontier (New York:  Bonanza Books, 1969), p. 140; Workers of the Writers’ Program of the Work Projects Administration, Texas:  A Guide to the Lone Star State (New York:  Hastings House, 1940), 121.

Locations:  Vol. 1, Nos. 1 and 6 (original); Vol. 1, Nos. 1, 5 and 6 (photocopy) Texas State Library Archives, Austin, Texas

Tőrvényhatósági Tudósítások (HUN, 1836)

Leave a comment

Tőrvényhatósági Tudósítások (HUN, 1836)

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Pest (across the Danube from Buda [comprising modern Budapest]), Hungary

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  At least one extant copy:  December 19, 1836

Size and Format:  Folio, single column

Editor/Publisher:  Lajos Kossuth (1802-1894)

Title Changes and Continuation:  (English: Municipal Government Report) also published Országgyűlési tudósítások or Parlimentary Report

General Description and Notes:

Lajos Kossuth (1802-94), editor of this handwritten newspaper, is one of Hungary’s most famous lawyers, journalists, Protestants, and national heroes, who challenged the Habsburg Empire’s Roman Catholic dynasty and fought for the independence for his country.

Hungarian nationalism, fueled in part by Protestant chaffing under the Habsburg’s Roman Catholic-leaning policies, increased early in the 19th century. Certain reforms were introduced: the replacement of Latin, the official language of administration, with Hungarian; a law allowing serfs alternative means of discharging their feudal duties; and increased Hungarian representation in the Council of State in Vienna. For nationalists, the reforms were too few and too late. The Hungarian Diet rose up to defy the emperor just as a wave of more radical revolutions swept Europe.

Lajos Kossuth ( 1802-94)

Kossuth, raised a Lutheran and studied at a Calvinist university, had served as a reporter on Diet proceedings. A growing readership soon prodded him to publish a gazette (Országgyűlési tudósítások; Parlimentary Report) in direct defiance of the government. The Habsburg government, fearing further spread of popular dissent, banned all printed reports. However, the popularity of Kossuth’s reports led nationalists groups to circulate them in manuscript form. Kossuth organized a group to act like a medieval “scriptorium,” which hand lettered the papers and distributed them clandestinely. Because of his journalistic efforts and  leadership in the nationalist movement, Kossuth was imprisoned by the Habsburgs on Castle Hill for three years (1837-40).

In the 1848 uprising, the Hungarians hastily formed a national defense commission and moved the administrative seat of government from Pest to Debrecen, where Kossuth was elected leader. The parliament declared Hungary’s full independence and rejected the authority of the Habsburgs over the country. The nation’s new freedom was short-lived, however.

The new Habsburg emperor, Franz Joseph (the end of whose reign in 1916 precipitated the First World War), sent in troops with assistance from Russian tsar Nicholas I. The nationalist partisans were defeated by August 1849 and martial law was declared. The Habsburg reprisals were brutal. Most of the nationalist leaders were summarily executed.  Kossuth went into exile in Turkey.

Kossuth is still hailed today by Hungarians as a national liberator. His name is a symbol of independence from foreign domination and was quietly invoked throughout the Soviet era.

(An interesting aside and coincidence: while writing this entry, I learned that Archduke (Crown Prince) Otto von Habsburg, son of the last Austro-Hungarian emperor Charles, died July 4, 2011, at age 98.)

Information Sources:

Bibliography: See hungaria.org. This site includes the following bibliography:

Authentic Life of His Excellency Louis Kossuth, Governor of Hungary: His Progress From His Childhood to His Overthrow by the Combined Armies of Austria and Russia, With a Full Report of the Speeches Delivered in England. . .. London: Bradbury & Evans, 1851. 136 p.
Deák, István. The Lawful Revolution: Louis Kossuth and the Hungarians, 1848-1849. NY: Columbia U, 1979. 415 p.
De Puy, Henry W. Kossuth and His Generals: With a Brief History of Hungary, Select Speeches of Kossuth, etc. Buffalo: Phinney, 1852. 408 p.
Kossuth and the Hungarian War: Comprising a Complete History of the Late Struggle of the Hungarians For Liberty: . . .. New Haven, CT: Mansfield, 1852. 288 p.
Kossuth, Lajos. Kossuth’s First Speech in Faneuil Hall, Thursday Evening, April 29, 1852. Boston: Dir Old South Work, 1902. 20 p.
Officer of the Army. The Life and Achievements of Gov. Louis Kossuth, and a Complete History of the Late Hungarian War of Independence. NY: Hutchinson, 1852. 56 p.
Spencer, Donald S. Louis Kossuth and Young America: A Study of Sectionalism and Foreign Policy 1848-1852. Columbia: U of MO, 1977.
Whitridge, Arnold. Men in Crisis; the Revolutions of 1848. NY: Scribner’s, 1949. 364 p.

Link: Tőrvényhatósági Tudósítások, Lajos Kossuth (Wikipedia)

Locations:  National Archives, Budapest, Hungary

The Times. (NC, 1867-1869)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Harrington, North Carolina

Frequency:  Weekly (irregular)

Volume and Issue Data:  Oct. 17, 24, 31, 1867 to April 2, 1869

1868, Jan-June complete; July 3, 17, 24, 31; Aug. 21, 28; Sept. 18, 25; Oct. 9, 16; Nov. Complete; Dec. 25.

1869, Jan. 1, 8, 22; Feb. 5, 19, 26; Mar. 12, 19, 26.

Size and Format:  “The Times.” was published on a good heavy quality of bond paper measuring 12½ by 15½ inches.  It was four pages, two columns to the page.

Editor/Publisher:  John McLean Harrington

Title Changes and Continuation:  One of series of papers published by Harrington, including as The NationThe Weekly News, Weekly Eagle, The Semi-Weekly News, and The Young American  (Harrington), (1860-63).

General Description and Notes:

According to Michael Ray Smith, in his book A Free Press in Freehand, “The Times. was used to mildly criticize Harrington’s newly united country for too much government while also praising it as the best of all nations” (p. 9).

“In his inaugural issue of The Times., Thursday, October 17, 1867, Harrington told readers that he wrote to entertain and inform others and to entertain himself” (p. 92). “. . . Our paper is intended for a repository of Pure Literature, Poetry, , writes Smith.

“He [Harrington] used the symbol [of Freemasonry] to promote a Pine Forest lodge meeting on page three of The Times., November 7, 1867. The most elaborate visual element occurred on the front page of The Times. on Friday, February 19, 1869. Harrington placed art of the North Carolina State House on the top of that page” (p. 46).

It seems that the gap of time between publication of the two papers is owed in part to a paper shortage.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  Michael Ray Smith, A Free Press in Freehand (Grand Rapids, MI: Edenridge Press, 2011), pp. 2, 8, 9, 42, 78, 84, 85, 92, 102; Malcolm Fowler, They Passed This Way: A Personal Narrative of Harnett County History (Lillington, NC: Harnett County Centennial, 1955), see Chapter XVII, “Authors, Poets and Papers”, pp. 150-52

More bibliography included in The Weekly News

Locations:  Special Collections Library, Duke University, Durham, NC

[Thompson Paper] (DE, 1910-1920)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Delaware

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  Between 1910 and 1920 (approx.)

Size and Format:  Unknown

Editor/Publisher:  Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation: Unknown

General Description and Notes:

According to Eleanor McD. Thompson, Librarian in Charge of the Printed Book and Periodical Collection at The Winterthur Library, “My grandfather, who was an amateur artist and poet, put out a few issues of a humorous neighborhood newspaper all lettered and drawn by him.”  She noted that she has them in storage. Her father was apparently an insurance executive and created the paper as a lark.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:

Locations:  Eleanor McD. Thompson, Librarian in Charge, Printed Book & Periodical Collection, The Winterthur Library, The Henry Francis duPont Winterthur Museum, Winterthur, DE

Tanglewood Twigs (MA, 1872)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Massachusetts

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  1872

Size and Format:  approximately 40 pp.

Editor/Publisher:  The Dunham Family

Title Changes and Continuation:  Unknown

General Description and Notes:

One issue by various family members.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  None

Locations:  In the Dunham Family Papers, Sophia Smith Collection, Smith College, Northampton, MA

Tancopanican Chronicle (DE, 1823-1824)

Leave a comment

Publication History: 

Place of Publication: DuPont family home, Delaware

Frequency: Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  Saturday, Sept. 20th, 1823.  Twelve issues, 1823-24.

Size and Format:  Approx. 4 pages each; approximately 7.5 x 10 inches

Editor/Publisher:  “Two members of the blue stocking club;” according to Marjorie G. McNinch, of the Hagley Museum and Library Manuscripts and Archives Department,  the paper is “written in the hand of Victorine (du Pont) Bauduy, but compiled with the help of her sisters Eleuthera and Sophie”

Title Changes and Continuation:  Tancopanican Chronicle, 1830-1834; publication for the DuPont Family celebration in 1950.

“Scenes on the Tancopanican” contains humorous watercolor sketches of life in the household of E.I. duPont, 1827 and undated.  It is handwritten, but not a newspaper (photocopy included).

General Description and Notes:

Presumably written in the hand of Victorine (du Pont) Bauduy, but compiled with the help of her sisters Eleuthera and Sophie.  These are the children of the founding member of the DuPont family, French emigrants who came to Delaware in 1800.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  Riggs Guide to Manuscripts, The Winterthur Manuscripts, Group 6, Papers of Victorine (du Pont) Bauduy, page 282; Betty-Bright Low and Jacqueline Hinsley, Sophie du Pont; A Young Lady in America.  Sketches, Diaries, & Letters 1823-1833 (New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers)

Locations:  Accession 471, Papers of Louis Crowninshield, describes Tancopanican chronicle, 1830-1834, (Wilmington, 1949).  A typescript of the original volumes is in Accession 428.

The Winterthur Manuscripts, Group 9 Papers of Sophie M. duPont, page 530, referring only to “Scenes on the Tancopanican”

Hagley Museum and Library, du Pont papers, Wilmington, DE:  http://www.hagley.org/library/

The Tampa Gouger (FL, 1831)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:   “Our Shop,” “Tampa Bay” (presumably FL; elsewhere in the paper reference is made to [St.?] Petersburg  and Russia, but it may have been an attempt at humor under “Foreign Intelligence”)

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  Monday, June 1831, Vol 1., No. 1.

Size and Format:  Large newssheet, 4 pages

Editor/Publisher:  “Three of Us!”  Washington Hood (1808-1840), a surveyor, architect and engineer, possibly in his hand

Title Changes and Continuation:  Unknown

General Description and Notes: 

Issue dated “Monday, June 1831”  (Vol. 1, No. 1) carries the motto, “I gouge, Thou gougest, He gouges!”  The paper’s lead column reads:

“In presenting to its patrons the first number of the Gouger, we wish it expressly, distinctly, emphatically, and unequivocally understood that we totally, entirely and absolutely disclaim all allegiances, dependence , fealty, obligation or subservience to any body or bodies civil, military, or political–and that we are not in any sence or meaning, either direct or by inference or by consternation [?] the public’s. [signed] Humble servants, The US Three.

Below the fold, the column continues with an explanation of the publications purpose and character.

“We beg it, moreover, to be expressly understood by all those who may enjoy the high and distinguished privileges of drawing instruction, edification, and happiness from the rich, rare, racy, and diversified columns of the Gouger, that we hold it to be the standard of morals and manners, and the undisputed and indisputable umpire and director of wit, humour, taste, literature and sciences.”

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  None

Locations:  The Washington Hood Collection in the Downs Collection, Manuscripts and Printed Ephemera, The Henry Francis du Pont Winterthur Museum, Winterthur, DE

Swan River Daily Police News (MB, 1876)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Swan River, Manitoba, Canada

Frequency:  Daily? Despite the title, actual duration and frequency are unknown

Volume and Issue Data: April 27, 1876

Size and Format:  Variable; one page; 24 x 36 inches; 22 x 32.5 inches

Editor/Publisher:  North West Mounted Police personnel

Title Changes and Continuation:  See also Weekly Critic, Dufferin, Manitoba

General Description and Notes:

According to Loveridge, the Daily Police News and Dufferin Weekly Critic represented the first efforts at rural journalism at Swan River and Fort Dufferin by North West Mounted Police in 1875 and 1876.  These may have been the earliest Manitoba newspapers outside Winnipeg.  Loveridge calls them “newsletters” and distinguishes them from “true newspapers.”

Information Sources:          

Bibliography:  D.M. Loveridge, A Historical Directory of Manitoba Newspapers, 1859-1978 (Winnipeg:  University of Manitoba Press, 1978), pp. 5, 95

Locations:  Legislative Library, Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, Winnipeg, Manitoba; April 27, 1876:  Saskatchewan Archives, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Sussex Owl (Eng-India, 1866)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Aboard the British troop ship HMS Sussex from Kingstown, England to Kurrachee, India (now Karachi, Pakistan?)

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  September-December 1866

Size and Format:  426 pages

Editor/Publisher:  T.S. Bigge, Captain, and authors A. Lot and A. Nicols

Title Changes and Continuation:  None

General Description and Notes:

This is a 426-page handwritten newspaper, published from September-December, 1866 on board the British troop ship Sussex during her maiden voyage from Kingstown, England to Kurrachee, India.

Information Sources:                            

Bibliography:  None

Locations:  Woodson Research Center, MS231 (in bound volume), Fondren Library, Rice University, Houston, TX, woodson@rice.edu

Sun-Beam (OH, no date)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Savannah, Ohio

Frequency: Unknown

Volume and Issue Data: Unknown

Size and Format:  Unknown

Editor/Publisher:  Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation: Unknown

General Description and Notes:

None

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  None

Locations:  Newspapers and Periodicals, American Antiquarian Society, Worcester, MA

The Students Gazette (PA, 1777-1778)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Friends Latin School (later William Penn Charter School), Philadelphia, PA

Frequency:  Unknown; first issue: “The great Want of a Weekly Newspaper and the Encouragement they formerly met with from you has induced me to publish the Students Gazette.”

Volume and Issue Data:  23 issues, 1777-8; first issue: June 11, 1777

Size and Format:  Half sheet (roughly 4.25  x 6 inches)

Editor/Publisher:  S.M. Fox, Friends Latin School, Philadelphia, PA (the editor’s name is on page two at the conclusion of the introductory editorial and in a news brief about school elections on page four)

Title Changes and Continuation: Unknown

General Description and Notes:

Full title:  The Students Gazette Containing Advices both Foreign & Domestic; First issue, Wednesday, June 11, 1777.

Harwood claims that this was “America’s first student newspaper, published at Friends Latin School,  Philadelphia, Pa., in 1777” (p. 326).

Information Sources:

Bibliography: William N. Harwood, Writing and Editing School News (Caldwell, ID: Clark Publishing Co,  1977), pp 326-327.

Locations:  The Morley Collection, Manuscripts, The Quaker Collection, Haverford College, Haverford, PA

The Storyteller (MA, 1925)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Unknown

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  1925

Size and Format:  Approx. 60 pp.

Editor/Publisher:  Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation: Unknown

General Description and Notes:

Children’s paper.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  None

Locations:  George Wesley Bellows Papers, Box IV, folder 18, Amherst College Library, Amherst, MA

The Stonewall Register (DE, 1865)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Fort Delaware, DE

Frequency:  Unknown, one extant issue

Volume and Issue Data:  April 1, 1865

Size and Format: Unknown

Editor/Publisher: Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation:  See The Prison Times

General Description and Notes:

First issue of a manuscript newspaper by Confederate prisoners of war of what is likely the U.S. prison at Fort Delaware.  Drawing of “Stonewall” Jackson flanked by Confederate flags heads the papers.  The paper contains salutatory; editorial; letter to the editor; camp news; advertisements; poetry; financial and Savannah commercial column; roll and rules of the Stonewall Chess Club.

The following notes are from the Georgia Historical Society records of The Stonewall Register:

“This collection contains the first issue, April 1, 1865, of The Stonewall Register. This handwritten newspaper was produced by prisoners held at the Fort Delaware prison during the Civil War and sold for fifty cents. The decorative masthead includes an illustration of Stonewall Jackson, for whom the paper is named. It includes letters to the paper, poetry, a description of the “Rebel Yell” and advertisements for tobacco, jewelry, engravings, laundry services, and hair cuts. It also gives financial and commercial news and a list of members and rules of the Stonewall Chess Club.

“Fort Delaware is located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. An earthwork fort was built on the island in 1813 and was replaced by a masonry fort in 1819. This fort was destroyed by fire in 1832 and construction of the present structure was completed in 1859. During the Civil War the fort was used as a prison with 250 of Stonewall Jackson’s soldiers being the first prisoners following the Battle of Kernstown in 1862. The fort was not intended for prisoners and modifications were made in order to house 10,000 captured Confederates. About 2,700 soldiers died at Fort Delaware with 2,400 of these being buried in a national cemetery at Finn’s Point, New Jersey. Fort Delaware was closed in 1944.”

Information Sources:

Bibliography:

Link: Georgia Historical Society, Stonewall Register catalog entry

Locations:  The Stonewall Register, MS 766, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia

The Starr King Gazette (MA, no date)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Charlestown, MA

Frequency: Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  Unknown

Size and Format:  Unknown

Editor/Publisher:  Unknown

Title Changes and Continuation:  Unknown

General Description and Notes:

None

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  None

Locations:  Newspapers and Periodicals, American Antiquarian Society, Worcester, MA

Star of the West (IL, 1859)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication: Rockford, IL: Union High School

Frequency: Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  1859, Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6.

Size and Format:  (in numerical order) 14 pp., 19 pp., 16 pp., 15 pp., 32 pp. and 24 pp.

Editor/Publisher: Variable

Title Changes and Continuation:  Unknown

General Description and Notes:

All issues of this paper are bound in one volume.  Some pages are torn while others have ink so light that they are difficult to read.

Information Sources:

Bibliography: None

Locations:  Union High School, No. 2 (BV), Rockford, IL, in  Manuscripts, Illinois State Historical Library, Old State Capitol, Springfield, IL

Older Entries Newer Entries

%d bloggers like this: