Place of Publication: Fort Delaware, DE
Frequency: Unknown, one extant issue
Volume and Issue Data: April 1, 1865
Size and Format: Unknown
Title Changes and Continuation: See The Prison Times
General Description and Notes:
First issue of a manuscript newspaper by Confederate prisoners of war of what is likely the U.S. prison at Fort Delaware. Drawing of “Stonewall” Jackson flanked by Confederate flags heads the papers. The paper contains salutatory; editorial; letter to the editor; camp news; advertisements; poetry; financial and Savannah commercial column; roll and rules of the Stonewall Chess Club.
The following notes are from the Georgia Historical Society records of The Stonewall Register:
“This collection contains the first issue, April 1, 1865, of The Stonewall Register. This handwritten newspaper was produced by prisoners held at the Fort Delaware prison during the Civil War and sold for fifty cents. The decorative masthead includes an illustration of Stonewall Jackson, for whom the paper is named. It includes letters to the paper, poetry, a description of the “Rebel Yell” and advertisements for tobacco, jewelry, engravings, laundry services, and hair cuts. It also gives financial and commercial news and a list of members and rules of the Stonewall Chess Club.
“Fort Delaware is located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. An earthwork fort was built on the island in 1813 and was replaced by a masonry fort in 1819. This fort was destroyed by fire in 1832 and construction of the present structure was completed in 1859. During the Civil War the fort was used as a prison with 250 of Stonewall Jackson’s soldiers being the first prisoners following the Battle of Kernstown in 1862. The fort was not intended for prisoners and modifications were made in order to house 10,000 captured Confederates. About 2,700 soldiers died at Fort Delaware with 2,400 of these being buried in a national cemetery at Finn’s Point, New Jersey. Fort Delaware was closed in 1944.”
Locations: The Stonewall Register, MS 766, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia