The Cactus (UT, 1878?-1884)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Panguitch, Garfield County, Utah (1878? 1880?-1884)

Frequency:  Irregular, “when the spirit moved”

Volume and Issue Data:  Started 1878 or 1879 and published until about 1884

Size and Format:  8 x 10 inches, four pages

Editor/Publisher:  John M. Dunning, editor and publisher; James T. Daly, Sr., correspondent or writer

Title Changes and Continuation:  Garfield County News, The Recorder, The Register

General Description & Notes:

The paper was first called the Cactus, but the name was changed, possibly, to the Garfield County News, The Recorder, and/or The Register.  The paper was not issued regularly but “when the spirit moved.”

According to Alter, editor Dunning was said to have been a humorist and prepared his own jokes for fillers.  Many of his poems and other writings also appeared in the Cactus.  Says Alter, “It may have been a manuscript, pen-and-ink newspaper.”

Alter notes that “the Manti Home Sentinel mentions March 26, 1886 as being: ‘among our latest exchanges:’ though the echang practice was so universal it is more than likely the Register was just beginning when it received this notice.”

According Lucy Hatch, a member of the Panguitch Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, Dunning published the first newspaper in the town “from about 1880 to 1884” and that Daly was a correspondent or writer.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  J. Cecil Alter,  Early Utah Journalism (Salt Lake City:  Utah Historical Society, 1938), p. 180

Locations:  No issues located

See also the Panguitch Register

The Beehive (UT, 1887-1889)

Leave a comment

The Beehive, UT, 1887

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  St. George, UT

Frequency:  Unknown

Volume and Issue Data:  Vol. 1, No. 5 and No.8; Vol. 2, No. 1, January 4, 1887; Vol. 2, No.2,  January 15, 1887; Vol. 2,  No. 3; Vol.2, No. 4,  December 20, 1887; Vol. 4, No. 2,  Feb 15, 1887; Vol. 4, No. 5, April 10,1888; Vol. 5, No. 12,  March 12,1889; Vol 7, No.2; Vol.? No.8

Size and Format:  Legal/ledger size lined pages, one column

Editor/Publisher:  Belle McArthur (March 12, 1889), Julie Macdonald (Vol. 2, No. 4, 1887), Miss F. DeFriez (Vol. 4, No. 5, April 10, 1888)

Title Changes and Continuation: None

The Beehive, UT, 1887

General Description & Notes:

This was a Mormon Ladies Improvement Society publication. Multiple extant copies of The Beehive are in various states of readability. Most issues have an illustrated masthead, but otherwise blank title page. The stories are in neat cursive writing on lined ledger paper

Information Sources:

Bibliography: None

Locations:  Utah State Historical Society, Mss A 1053

The Beehive, UT, Vol. 2, No. 3, N.D.

The Advocate (UT, 1888)

Leave a comment

Publication History:

Place of Publication:  Holden, Utah (Holden Ward, Millard Stake)

Frequency:  Bi-monthly

Volume and Issue Data:  Vol.2 No.2  March 10, 1888

Size and Format:  ledger/legal size lined page, one column

Editor/Publisher:  B.H. Stringam and John Wood

Title Changes and Continuation:  None

 General Description & Notes:

According to Chad Flake, dozens of illusive newspapers sprang up in small towns which could not justify a printed paper, or were predecessors to the printed newspaper.  One such was The Advocate, circulated in Holden, Utah, in the late 1880’s.

Information Sources:

Bibliography:  Chad, Flake, “Early Utah Journalism:  A Brief Summary,” in Utah Newspapers–Traces of Her Past, ed. by Robert P. Holley. Utah Newspaper Project, Salt Lake City–Marriott Library, 1984.

Locations:  Mormon Archives, Salt Lake City, UT

————————————————————

Newer Entries

%d bloggers like this: